Our terms and conditions for renting a vehicle
- Your contract with us
When you sign the form over the page you accept the conditions of the rental agreement listed in this document.
PLEASE READ THIS AGREEMENT CAREFULLY. IF THERE IS ANYTHING YOU DO NOT AGREE WITH, PLEASE ASK ANY MEMBER OF STAFF AT THE RENTAL LOCATION FRO WHICH THE VEHICLE IS RENTED.
- Rental period
You will have the vehicle for the rental period shown in the agreement. We may agree to extend this rental period but the rental may never extend 30 days.
If you do not bring the vehicle back on time you are breaking the conditions of this agreement. We can charge you for every day or part day you have the vehicle after you have returned it to us. We will charge you for the daily rate quoted at the rental location until we get the vehicle back.
- Your responsibilities
- You must look after the vehicle and keys to the vehicle. You must always lock the vehicle when you are not using it and use any security device fitted in or supplied with the vehicle. You must always protect the vehicle against bad weather which can cause damage. You must make sure you use correct fuel.
- You must inspect the vehicle and any accessories, such as a satellite navigation system, we provide before you take the vehicle. If you are not satisfied with the vehicle or any accessories or if you do not think the condition of the vehicle meets our pre-rental inspection report, you must notify the office where you rented the vehicle from. In the absence of such notice, it shall be deemed that you received the vehicle and any accessories in perfect working order.
- You must take care of the vehicle, any accessories and the keys or other locking device (including any apps which can be used with the vehicles) for the vehicle. You agree to return the vehicle in the same condition in which you received it. You must always lock the vehicle when you are not using it, and use any security device which is fitted or supplied with the vehicle. You must always use your best endeavours to protect the vehicle against adverse weather conditions which could cause damage to the vehicle. You must make sure that you use the correct fuel and fluids in the vehicle. If the vehicle is electric or plug-in hybrid you must charge the vehicle in accordance with the instructions provided.
- You are responsible for any damage to the roof of upper part of the vehicle caused by hitting low level objects, such as bridges or low branches.
- You must not sell, rent, loan or dispose of the vehicle of any of its parts. You must not give anyone any legal rights over the vehicle.
- You must not let any work be carried out on the vehicle. Any work carried out will not be paid for by the company and you will be charged for any further work as a result.
- You must let the company know as soon as you become aware of any defect on the vehicle.
- You must bring the vehicle back to the place agreed with the company during opening hours displayed at the rental location. A member of staff will check the vehicle in and begin the inspection. Where it is agreed, you may bring the vehicle back out of hours and deposit the keys safely. You will remain responsible for the vehicle and its condition until it is inspected by a member of staff.
- You must check the fluid levels and tyre tread depth daily. Failure to do so could result in charges being bought against you for damage caused to the vehicle.
- You will have to pay for damages/repairs if: -
a. The vehicle needs more than a standard valet
b. You have damaged the inside of the vehicle
c. You have damaged the outside of the vehicle
d. You have lost a part from the vehicle
e. The vehicle isn’t returned in the same condition as when checked out
- You must remove all your personal belongings before bringing the vehicle back. Station Hire Limited accepts no responsibility for anything lost during your hire.
- If leaving your vehicle on the premises during your hire, Station Hire Limited accepts
- Our responsibilities
Station Hire Limited will maintain the vehicle to at least the manufacturers recommend standard. We undertake that the vehicle is roadworthy and suitable for renting at the start of the rental period. We are not responsible for loss, injury or death such as the vehicle breaking down or being involved in a road traffic collision unless it is proved that the vehicle was not road worthy.
The vehicle you have hired may be fitted with a tracking device, and by signing this agreement you agree that we have your consent to record and use any data we collect. The tracking device will be used to ensure safe and compliant operation of the vehicle in line with the terms of this agreement. If the vehicle is not returned on the agreed date, time and place we will use the data recorded on the device to recover our vehicle. We will identify and tell you about any existing damage to the vehicle before you sign this agreement.
Station Hire Limited is not responsible for any property inside the vehicle when the vehicle is hired out.
- Conditions for using the vehicle
The vehicle must only be driven by the person named overleaf, or by anyone authorised by Station Hire Limited in writing. Anyone driving the vehicle must have a full, valid driving licence and be accepted by our insurance company to drive the vehicle per their terms and conditions. Anyone without both of these, will not be insured or allowed to drive and will be breaking the Road Traffic Act 1988 and report to the authorities.
You or any authorised driver must not do any of the following:
- Carry passengers for hire or reward
- Use the vehicle for racing, pace making, testing vehicle reliability or speed or teaching someone to drive.
- Use the vehicle under the influence of alcohol and drugs
- Carry a number of passengers and/or baggage which would cause the vehicle to be overload or exceed the maximum payload.
- Drive outside of UK territory unless you have permission from Station Hire Limited
We work out our charges using our current price list. As shown overleaf you will pay the following charges:
- The rental and any other charges according to this agreement (VAT included).
- Any charge for loss or damages.
- A refuelling service charge, if the vehicle is not returned with the same amount of fuel as it was when it was checked out. You agree to pay £85.00 for this service.
- On demand, all fines and court costs for any road traffic offences, including clamping costs. You agree to pay £25.00 administration fee to Station Hire Limited for each traffic offence you are responsible for.
- On demand, the full cost of repairing or replacing the vehicle it it is damaged or stolen (even if it is not your fault). You will not have to pay the full cost of the repair or replacement if you have purchased the collision Damage Waiver as shown overleaf or you may have your own insurance.
- On demand a loss of income charge. We will charge you this if we cannot rent out the vehicle because it needs to be repaired, or it is a write-off. This will be charged at the daily rate.
- On demand, any charges made by Customs and Excise, Police, Recovery or any authority as a result of seizure of the vehicle by them, together with a loss of income charge whilst the vehicle is unavailable for rental.
- Any published rate for delivery and collection of the vehicle.
- On demand, additional mileage charge for every mile over the agreed limit.
- Interest which we will add every day to any amount you do not pay us on time, at the rate of 5% a year above the base lending rate of Barclays Bank from time to time.
- Value Added Tax and all other taxes on any charge listed above, as appropriate. You are responsible for all charges, even if you have asked someone else to be responsible for them
- On demand, any cancellation made within 72 hours of the booking. You are liable for the full booking cost (Inc VAT). Any booking cancelled 72 hours or more before the booking date will receive a full refund.
- Mileage limits - If you go over the agreed mileage limit, you agree to pay 25p per mile. For mileage limit, please refer to rental agreement.
You can get details of the Collision Damage Waiver from the location you have rented the vehicle from.
- Our Insurance / Collision Damage Waiver
If we arrange separate insurance, we will give you separate insurance information on the insurance cover and any restrictions which may apply. Otherwise, the conditions of our insurance and collision damage waiver will apply, as indicated by your acceptance of them by signing the rental agreement overleaf.
- We have a legal responsibility to have the insurance to meet the Road Traffic Act requirements. This provides cover for claims made for any injuries or death, whilst driving our vehicle, or damage to property (subject to a minimum cover).
- We will provide cover for loss and damage to the vehicle as per insurers terms and conditions. You will pay the responsibility amount (excess) every time the vehicle is damaged. If you activate the collision damage waiver, you will pay the responsibility amount stated overleaf.
- We will provide cover for theft or damage to the vehicle caused during an attempted theft as per insurers terms and conditions. You will pay the responsibility amount (excess) every time the vehicle is damaged. If you activate the collision damage waiver, you will pay the responsibility amount stated overleaf.
You can get details of the legal requirements and the insurers terms and conditions from the location you have rented the vehicle from.
- Your Own Insurance (Customer Own Insurance)
You may arrange your own insurance with our agreement by informing the rental company, as long as you can prove the insurance is valid. We must approve the amount of cover you arrange, the type of policy and the insurer you have chosen. We must be satisfied with the cover and policy conditions and you not change them subsequently without our consent.
We may ask your insurers to record our name as owners of the vehicle. If the vehicle is damaged or stolen you will let us negotiate with the insurers about whether the vehicle can be replaced or what compensation is due to us. You are financially to settle any cost if the policy you have arranged fails and the vehicle is damaged, lost, stolen or claims made by any other third party.
- What to do if you are involved in a collision
If you are involved in a collision, you must not admit responsibility in the first instance. You should get the names, addresses and contact numbers and any other information including driving licence details and insurers details of everyone involved, including witnesses. You should then secure the vehicle, inform the emergency services if any needs medical attention, and inform the police if there is a disagreement over who is responsible. Call our office to report the incident. You will then be required to fill in an accident form.
You agree that we may use any information that has been given to us to carry out market research. If you break the agreement, we can give your information to the credit reference agencies, The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Authority (DVLA), debt collectors and any other relevant organisation. We can also give this to the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association (BVRLA), who can pass it on to any of its members for any purpose stated in the Data Protection Act 1984.
- Ending the agreement
- If you are a consumer we will end this agreement straight away if we find out that your goods have been taken away from you to pay off your debts, or a receiving order is made against you. We will also end this agreement if you do not meet any of the conditions of this agreement.
- If you are a company, we will end this agreement straight away if: you go into liquidation, you call a meeting of creditors, we find out that your goods have been taken away from you to pay off your debts, or you do not meet any of the conditions of this agreement.
- If we end the agreement it will not affect our right to receive any money we are owed under the conditions of the agreement. We can also claim extra costs from you if you do not meet any of the conditions of this agreement. We can repossess the vehicle and charge you if we do this.
- Governing Law
This agreement is governed by the laws of the country in which it is signed. Any dispute may be submitted to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of that country. In certain cases the renting company reserves the right to appoint an arbitrator.